As the cold winter months approach, homeowners in Nevada will likely be dealing with more than just freezing temperatures. With all the rainfall and snow we receive in this desert state, many uninvited guests often creep into our homes seeking a warm refuge.
This post will outline some of the most common household pests that use our houses as winter shelters and what to do if you find them sheltering inside your home.
While unwanted houseguests may be inevitable, arming yourself with knowledge on how to detect and prevent these pesky critters can show them who is really in charge!
Identifying Common Winter Invaders in Nevada
- Rodents: As the temperature drops, rodents like mice and rats can find their way into homes for shelter and food. Indications of their presence include droppings, gnaw marks, and scratching noises.
- Spiders: Many species of spiders, including the Black Widow and Brown Recluse, are common in Nevada. They prefer dark, secluded areas like basements, attics, or garages. A quick search for ‘spider control near me’ can help homeowners find professional pest control services to get rid of these pesky creatures.
- Cockroaches: These insects are not just summer pests. They can survive the winter months, especially in warmer indoor environments. Look for them in moist areas like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Silverfish: Silverfish are drawn to damp, warm areas. They feed on carbohydrates, particularly those found in paper products, so they are often discovered in bookshelves, storage boxes, and pantries.
- Ants: Although most ants hibernate during winter, some species, like Argentine ants, can invade homes for warmth and food sources.
- Termites: While termites are typically active in warm weather, they can continue to cause damage in winter, especially in heated homes. Be vigilant for signs like mud tubes along walls or discarded wings.
Different Types of Damage Common Winter Invaders Can Cause to Your Home
- Structural Damage: Some pests, like termites and carpenter ants, can cause significant structural damage to your home by tunneling through wooden structures.
- Electrical Damage: Rodents, such as rats and squirrels, are known to gnaw on electrical wires, posing a fire hazard.
- Insulation Damage: Pests like rodents and bats can also destroy insulation by nesting and burrowing, compromising your home’s ability to retain heat.
- Food Contamination: Insects like cockroaches and rodents can contaminate food sources, leading to potential health risks.
- Plant Damage: Pests, such as aphids and beetles, can harm indoor plants, impacting their growth and overall health.
- Health Risks: Many pests, such as rodents and cockroaches, can transmit diseases to humans, posing serious health risks.
How to Prevent Infestations of Common Winter Invaders
- Seal Off Entry Points: Regularly inspect your house for any cracks, holes, or gaps that could serve as a gateway for small invaders. Repair damaged screens and seal any crevices with caulk. Pest control Reno NV experts can carry out a comprehensive inspection and seal off potential entry points.
- Maintain Cleanliness: Pests are attracted to food and clutter. Regular cleaning, vacuuming, and disposing of trash can make your home less appealing to them. Reno Nevada pest control professionals can guide you on specific cleanliness practices that repel specific pests.
- Install Screens and Nets: Install screens on chimney vents and openings to prevent pests like rodents and bats from entering your home. Pest control services can help with the installation of these protective barriers.
- Regular Pest Control: Engaging pest control in Reno NV for regular pest inspections and treatments can help detect and eliminate any lurking pests before they become a problem.
- Proper food storage: Store food in sealed containers to avoid attracting pests. If you notice signs of infestation, contact pest control in Reno NV immediately.
- Trim Overhanging Branches: Trim branches that are close to your house as pests use them to gain access to your home.
The Benefits of Professional Extermination Services for Common Winter Invaders
- Expertise and Experience: Professional exterminators like bed bug treatment Reno have specialized knowledge and years of experience in dealing with a variety of pests. They are well-equipped to effectively and safely handle infestations.
- Efficient Treatment Plans: Reno Pest Control Pros tailors treatment plans to your specific infestation, ensuring a thorough and efficient eradication of the pests invading your home during winter.
- Preventative Measures: Beyond just dealing with current infestations, professional pest control services can also offer advice and strategies to prevent future invasions, helping you keep your home pest-free year-round.
- Safe Use of Pesticides: Professionals know how to properly and safely use potentially harmful pesticides, ensuring the safety of your family and pets.
- Saves Time and Money: While DIY pest control methods may seem cost-effective, they can result in incomplete extermination and recurrent infestations. Utilizing pest treatment services can save you time and money in the long run.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that your pest problem is in the hands of professionals offers peace of mind. You can rest assured that your pest issues will be resolved effectively and efficiently.
About Reno Pest Control Pros
If you’re having trouble keeping bedbugs, termites, and other pests out of your Reno, Nevada home, contact a professional pest control Reno NV for help. At Reno Pest Control Pros, we provide effective and affordable pest control services. We effectively eradicate all pests, including bed bugs, ants, mosquitoes, termites, and more. Our clients choose us because we offer the fastest and best pest control in the Reno area and Washoe County. We use the best, safest, and most eco-friendly pesticides to ensure no adverse effects on the environment. For more information, call (775) 305-3785 or fill out our contact form.