With the growing number of Nevada residents suffering from health issues due to mosquito bites, it is best to understand how to prevent these bites in the first place. People have always been concerned about avoiding getting bitten, especially in areas where mosquito-borne diseases like malaria, yellow fever, and dengue fever are common. Whether heading for a walk or to the beach, you must follow certain guidelines to prevent mosquito bites.
Below, we have listed the top five tips to prevent mosquito bites!
- Remove any standing water near your property: Whether is an old flower pot, birdbath, or a rain gutter, you must know mosquitoes breed in standing water in only 14 days. Therefore, if you have a pond, add some mosquito-eating fish like guppies and minnows or treat it with a natural bacterium called Bacillus thuringiensis. It kills mosquito larvae and is harmless to plants, people, and pets.
- Keep mosquitoes outside: Get screens installed on the windows to prevent mosquitos from slipping in a window. You can also get a fine mosquito net and hang it over your crib or bed.
- Use a mosquito repellent: Use effective mosquito repellents that contain picaridin, PMD, DEET, or IR3535 insecticide. Ensure to check if they are safe for pregnant and nursing women and babies over two months. However, avoid using them around the mouth or eyes and ensure there is no skin irritation after their usage. Ideally, you should focus on your ankles, lower legs, feet, and wrists, as these are spots most prone to mosquito bites.
- Wear light-colored clothes, especially outdoors: Dark colors, including deep blue, black, and red, easily stand out and thus attract bugs. Therefore, choose to wear light-colored clothing made of thicker fabrics and looser fits as they offer more protection than tight-fitting dark-colored clothes.
- Avoid going out during dusk and dawn: Although mosquitoes can bite at any time of the day, we suggest staying indoors during their prime hunting times- dusk and dawn. And, if you have to step out of the house during this time, ensure you follow all other precautions.
- Use a natural repellent: You can use natural repellent such as the lemon eucalyptus oil obtained from a specific eucalyptus tree from Australia. Its synthetic version is sold by various brands in the market, offering high-level protection. Please note that it should not be used on children under the age of three.
About Reno Pest Control Pros
If you are a resident of Northern Nevada, you must follow the above-mentioned tips to prevent mosquito bites or hire a company that excels in pest control in Reno. At Reno Pest Control Pros, we provide effective and affordable pest control services. We effectively eradicate all pests, including bed bugs, ants, mosquitoes, termites, and more. Our clients choose us because we offer the fastest and best pest control in the Reno area and Washoe County. We use the best, safest, and most eco-friendly pesticides. For more information, call at (775) 305-3785 or fill out the contact form.